Some of our favorite sites for fellow trappers and curious bystanders:
- Maddie’s Fund: How to clean and disinfect pet foster homes
Even though you are not a foster home this is a great resource for trappers and kitten socializers.
- Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) saves lives
From Alley Cat Allies a great explanation on why TNR is so important in improving the lives of outdoor cats
- TNR Certification Workshops – Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals
If you live in the NYC area and want to start doing TNR’s yourself. Once you complete the training you can check out traps through the ASPCA and book free TNR appointments for the cats you catch!
- Community Cats Podcast
If you don’t know about Community Cats this is a great way to learn about them; if you do know your friendlies from your ferals it’s a nice way to feel connected to the community at large. Thoughtful interviews and a lot of TNR oral history you wont find anywhere else!
- Trapping: The Basics
A general overview of trapping from Neighborhood Cats
- Tough Love: Socializing Feral Kittens (3 parts)
You’ve caught the kittens now you need to get them socialized; a great How To from the Mayors Alliance for NYC Animals
- Top 10 Tips for Getting Your Tenacious Trap-Savvy Cat
I love the advice about KFC Original Chicken
- Understanding Feral Cats : How to Bait Resistant Feral Cats
A good video version also praising KFC 🙂
- Neighborhood Cats TNR Handbook: The Guide to Trap-Neuter-Return for the Feral Cat Caretaker, 2d ed (Neighborhood Cats, 2013)
An A to Z guide are all things TNR for a colony caretaker, including trapping, feeding, winter shelter, neighbor relations, veterinary care and more specialized topics like trapping hard-to-catch cats, what to do with nursing mothers and kittens and caring for cats in traps. “The hands-on expertise of Neighborhood Cats’ staff, as well as the group’s involvement with caretakers around the world, makes this the most comprehensive and up-to-the-minute resource for educating caretakers on all aspects of colony management.” (Animal Sheltering magazine, Sept/Oct 2013.) Available for free download. Also available in a higher resolution print version.
- How To Change Trap Papers
- Build Your Own Feral Cat Shelter
- Trap Cover Instructions
At Cats Great & Small and trap covers are one of our favorite projects for cats. You can make your own using the pattern pdf we wrote.